Thursday, October 31, 2013

Trying to prioritize (aka, goodbye Facebook)

The other day I was on facebook (for probably the 20th time that day) just looking at things I'd already seen, avoiding my kids, and just being a lazy bum. My house was a mess, my mind was all over the place and here I sat, at the computer, wasting away my precious time.

That night as I nursed and rocked Katelyn to sleep, enjoying her sweetness, I felt very strongly that I needed to say goodbye to facebook for a good long while. I realized that I have a FOMO problem (or fear of missing out) that is not helping me live in the here and now and not allowing me to enjoy my kids and my role as a wife and mother. I was so worried about what other people were doing in their lives, that mine was suffering. I was addicted to the Candy Crush game. I would think throughout the day in terms of how I could word that incident on facebook (I'm still overcoming that... it takes longer than I hoped).

So that very night, after Katelyn was in bed, I went on facebook, changed my profile pic to one that could stay for a while, and announced my leave. It has been really hard to not go on and see what people have said in response to it. I know I have had some withdrawals and I still look at the computer longingly at times (but it has only been 2 days). I think in addition to my FOMO, I also have this need to be validated by other people. Maybe that is why I became so engrossed in the facebook world of posting and getting likes and comments. maybe that is why I included my e-mail, cell #, and blog site in my goodbye so I could still feel like people could reach out to me and acknowledge me. I know that the only people's opinions who really matter are my husband and kids, but I'm human and still want other people's approval. (I know after writing this that I will check the comments often for the same reason... but one step at a time right?)

So, from this point forward (until and undetermined time) I will be working on coming on the computer only once a day (and work towards less), unless I am specifically working on a project for my kids or my primary calling. I want to get my priorities straight. That means, my kids, my husband, my home, my spiritual well-being, and my health. Because those really are the only things that matter in life. Maybe one day I will get back on facebook, when I feel like my life is straightened out enough to control my usage, but for now, I have bigger issues to work on.

Thanks for reading. This blog will take higher priority because I need to keep record of my family. (but will not take over facebook's position)

Now I will leave you with pictures of I my reasons for this change!






I sure do have a beautiful, wonderful, loving, and supportive family! I am so blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment